Fall is here and apples are abundant everywhere, why not whipped something up that reminds of you the good old days; caramel apple pancakes perhaps? This recipe from Buns In My Oven is simply amazing.
1 cup all purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup buttermilk (or 3/4 cup regular milk plus 2 tablespoons vinegar - let sit for 5 minutes)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons butter, melted
For the apples:
1 medium tart apple, peeled and diced
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
tiny pinch of salt
caramel ice cream topping, warmed
1. Combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the buttermilk, vanilla, egg, and melted butter until well combined.
3. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and whisk together until most of the lumps are gone. Do not over mix.
3. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and spray with cooking spray.
4. Pour 1/4 cup of batter into the skillet and cook until bubbles form on the surface. Flip the pancake and cook until browned on the bottom and the center is done.
For the apples:
1. While the pancakes are cooking, set a small skillet over medium-low heat. Add the butter to the skillet and melt.
2. Stir in the brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt to combine.
3. Add the apples and stir to coat.
4. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
Top the pancakes with the warm apples and drizzle the warmed caramel sauce on top.
image and recipe via